Links

pmuellr is Patrick Mueller

other pmuellr thangs: home page, twitter, flickr, github

Monday, March 20, 2006

Scripting Eclipse

I see there's another EclipseMonkey user.

I've been doing my usual fumbling here. I've sketched out an EclipseMonkey-ish plugin on paper that is a little more along the lines of what I wanted to do; namely, never have to write any Java code. You know, I keep forgetting that to do that, I need to write some Java code. Well, I do enough of that at work, as far as I'm concerned. I keep meaning to spend some quality time with Ruby. So I looked into JRuby to see if that might be useful alternative to Rhino. Unfortunately, the doc is a bit skimpy when it comes to actually launching it, without going through BSF. It's not quite clear how you go about referencing other JRuby files via require or whatever.

I also ran into EclipseShell. Which looks interesting, but appears to only support ad-hoc running of scripts. Ad-hoc is great, but I really want to build scripts and hook them up to things, at a minumum, a menu like Eclipse Monkey

Then I happened to remember that I'm already doing some 'scripting' of Eclipse through some external tool launchers that run some python scripts. And I have RDT installed, so I could do this type of thing, but in Ruby, and with a 'native' launcher. Maybe that'll scratch the itch for a while.

No comments: